- 2014-Present Crawford Tercentenary Chair of Chemistry and Director of Research, School of Chemistry, University of Edinburgh, UK
- 2004-2013 Professor, School of Chemistry, Cardiff University.
- 1991-2003 Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Reader, University of Manchester, UK
- 1989-91 Research Associate, Toronto General Hospital/University of Toronto, Canada.
- 1987-89 Postdoctoral Fellow, York University, Ontario, Canada.
- 1984-87 University of East Anglia, PhD, Synthetic Organic Chemistry.
- 1981-84 University of East Anglia, BSc Hons. ‘Chemistry in the USA’ (First Class).
Awards and Distinctions:
- RSC Tilden Prize (2017)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, FRSE (2017).
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, FRSC.
- Beilby Medal for energy-related materials – awarded jointly by RSC, IoM3 and SCI (2008).
- Cardiff Professorial Research Fellow (2004-2010)
- Leverhulme Research Fellow (2000).
- Young Investigator Award – International Committee for Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines (2000)
- Dean’s Honours List at the University of Massachusetts, Fall 1982 and Spring 1983