- 2014-Present Crawford Tercentenary Chair of Chemistry and Director of Research, School of Chemistry, University of Edinburgh, UK
- 2004-2013 Professor, School of Chemistry, Cardiff University.
- 1991-2003 Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Reader, University of Manchester, UK
- 1989-91 Research Associate, Toronto General Hospital/University of Toronto, Canada.
- 1987-89 Postdoctoral Fellow, York University, Ontario, Canada.
- 1984-87 University of East Anglia, PhD, Synthetic Organic Chemistry.
- 1981-84 University of East Anglia, BSc Hons. ‘Chemistry in the USA’ (First Class).
Awards and Distinctions:
- Molecular Foundry, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, distinguished Lecturer (2018)
- Tilden Medal awarded by the Royal Society of Chemistry (2017).
“for innovations relating to microporous materials from soluble polymers to discrete molecules”
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, FRSE (elected 2017).
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, FRSC, CChem (2017).
- Beilby Medal for Materials Chemistry awarded by the Royal Society of Chemistry (2008).
“for the invention of Polymers of Intrinsic Microporosity (PIMs), a new class of porous material”
- Cardiff University Professorial Research Fellow (2004-2009).
- Leverhulme Research Fellowship (2000-2001).
- Young Investigator Award – International Committee for Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines (2000).